Thursday, March 30, 2006

CLK Convertible 2

I completed Just Looking soon enough. Unknowingly, I had attended 2 months of church. I got to know some of the PUNJ people better. Going to church on Saturdays became routine. I was working part time at MOS burger then. I even made sure my work days do not fall on Saturdays. I moved on to another series of bible studies called Back to Basics looking at different topical themes about Christianity like faith, grace and good works among others.

By then, I was already quite convinced of the Christian message intellectually. But there was a strong reluctance to commit totally to the faith. There were many obstacles. Being in a non-Christian family brought up some issues.. I also wondered how it would be perceived by my non-Christian friends. Then of cos the biggest obstacle was Swsnbn. I did not know then whether I was converting for her sake. And the balance certainly tilted in that direction however hard I tried to convince myself otherwise. But I knew it was too frivolous a reason to convert like that. And deep down, I told myself that I needed some assurance that there be some kind of permanence and stability to this relationship before I would convert. It was a massive dilemma.

That assurance never came. But God probably knew that was what I needed. With S around, I would never be able to come to a clear decision whether to accept Christ or not. That decision would also be very much clouded by many things. With her out of the picture, I was finally able to logically and objectively decide for myself whether I really believed in Christ and had decided to follow Him. There was then no more reason other than the facts about Christ for me to attend church. I thought that I would just stop wasting my time and save my Saturdays to do the things I like. I had every reason to hate Christianity and God for things not turning out my way. But somehow, I stayed on. The facts of Christ grew on me and eventually, I did convert.

I could not remember the exact day on which I accepted Christ. Or perhaps I allowed him into my heart over several days. But over these 2 years or so, through numerous sermons, books, bible studies and coversations with Christians, I have grown in the knowledge of Christ and am increasingly convinced that what we believe in has not been made up and is of the truth..

I am realistic about what this blog can do. I don't think that people will believe just because of what I say here. But it might be a tiny step.. It might be God stretching his hand out to you.