Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Absolut Joy

















Recently, I have had plenty to be joyful about.. henceforth the change in the blog title.
Indeed sometimes I lament so much about my struggles and shortcomings when in fact there is so much to be thankful about. Thank God for the timely reminder in the sermon 2 weeks ago which reminds me to be thankful regardless of the circumstances and to continue to put my trust in him..

I think as Christians, there are always times when we are doubtful.. doubtful of His existence.. doubtful of His will.. I often question whether He is around.. whether He is real.. Sometimes I cannot understand why certain things happen that way.. And from time to time, these doubts will come back and new doubts will develop. And these doubts don't make anyone any less a Christian. In fact, it is during these times of doubts that you begin to dig deep and learn to draw on God's strength and learn to depend on Him.

And it was also in those times of immense stress and hopelessness and doubts that I found God.. During those few months, I was at times helpless, at times disappointed, at times bitter about how things had turned out.. But it was only during those times that I started to ponder over spiritual issues and the meaning of life. It seems that it takes some form of failure and disappointment to make a proud person turn to God for help. And indeed I see that happening around me.

I am really thankful for the two friends that have recently started going to church and beginning to know Christ.. Regardless of the circumstances in which they came to believe, I do hope they continue to put their trust in God and continue to mature in their faith.. Really, it is very encouraging to hear from them how they are beginning to turn to Christ.. it just shows the greatness of God's love, His generosity and His sovereign will.. and really, to anyone willing to receive this gift, He freely pours out His love and mercy.. He will never shut the door on anyone.. not even the most hardened criminal or stubborn soul.

I am glad I took up the opportunity to go for the leaders' course.. Although I can't say for sure that I will be able to lead a bible study in the near future, I think the course has greatly benefitted me in terms of understanding God's word and applying it in my life. Preparing for a bible study requires a lot of time and energy and it really forces you to read God's word properly and thoroughly cos how the bible study is led does not solely impact on the leader alone but also affects the group members' understanding of the bible. And yup, the bible is meant to be taught and learnt.. when I tried to read the bible on my own last time, I could barely understand what it is trying to say, let alone reading it in context or applying it correctly in my life. However, like what my course leader said, the leader of the bible discussion normally benefits the most and understands it fully.. I can't agree more cos leading the bible study has allowed me to understand God's word better.. At the same time, I can better appreciate the pains and efforts put in by my leaders in preparing for the bible studies.. Christian ministry is really hard work, hard work which is often unappreciated and unrewarding.. I can only ask God to guide me as I ponder over in what capacity I can serve the Church in future, in firm assurance that my reward is in heaven..

I rejoice for the relationships I have had with people these past few months.. relationships maintained, forged, and rekindled.. especially the ones that were renewed, I am really thankful to God. Sometimes, I thought as a result of my selfishness, some relationships were on the verge of breaking down.. but thankfully, in Christ, there is no record of wrongs, no conceit, no pride; only forgiveness, magnanimity and humility! also thankful for some new friendships forged or deepened.. these have been a great source of strength and encouragement for me.. especially my new one-to-one bible study leader-cum-buddy-cum-confidante Keeevin, he has been thoroughly encouraging and supportive.. I always go away from my one-to-ones feeling rejuvenated and refreshed. A big thank you to you if you are reading this! =)

To all who have received God's grace, rejoice!


Psalms 150
Praise the LORD.
Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens.
Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.
Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,
praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute,
praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.