Monday, June 12, 2006

Not Bad Wat..

"Not bad wat.." "Not bad mah.." "Not bad leh.."
I realise many of us like to use the phrase "not bad". I guess it shows some kind of humility. At least it is slightly better than saying, "Lousy la.. I only got 80." So in actual fact, when one says something is not bad, he is saying it is good. But being humble people, we would rather tell others we are not bad and let others tell us that we are good.

Anyway that was a little out of point.. From a normal human point of view, I think a lot of things can be not bad. In fact, a lot of things can be good. And there are lots of good people around too. People who donate generously to charities. People who are truly humble, down-to-earth. People who have no hatred, no malice, no ill-intent. People who do not gossip and spread rumours. People who help others altruistically. But people who satisfy all of these are few and rare. For the mortals like you and me, we would just like to think of ourselves as " well, not too bad la.."

Sometimes, it does make me ponder.. As I look at the people around me, Christians and non-Christians alike, I think these people are not too bad. After all, they are not going around killing people or stealing or cheating. They are sincere people. They love their families and friends. They study and work hard. They are filial. Granted the few vulgarities and the few gossips and rumours and the occasional stare or comment at the babe that walked by, I don't think these were done with much malice or ill-intent..

And then there are the true angels out there. People who really have a kind heart. People who are selfless and self-sacrificial.

So how can such people be punished if God is really a fair God? I don't really know the answer.. Sometimes it bothers me that I am saved but the, in my opinion, nicer and better people around me aren't.. I guess it gives me more reason and encouragement to live a life that is worthy of being saved.

But really, is what we humans define as good really good? What is the cut-off point for gaining entry into heaven? We have this tendency to set our own standards and rules. Perhaps it comforts us to think that we are not too bad people. Perhaps it comforts us to think that what we do is enough and satisfactory. So long as we do not harm other people. So long as we do not break the law.

But if indeed there is a God, then who are we to set the rules? or question the rules set by Him? Maybe by our human reasoning, it seems unfair that everyone is under His judgment.. But He sets the rules and He sets the standards for us.. And the standards are the same for each and everyone of us. In contrast our standards are arbitrary and vary among individuals. To be made right before Him, we must be perfect and spotlessly clean. And the only way to do that, and I know I am sounding like a broken record now, is through faith in Jesus Christ.

It might be comforting to us now that we are treating people sincerely and not doing things that are harming others (though sometimes we harm others unknowingly). But what good is there if this is a just a false sense of comfort and security? What if what we define as good is not good enough in God's eyes?

"All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. ... This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares." -- Romans